Rec

Aces: 1
There are some guys out there who have some pretty decent portable tee pads

Post subject: Re: 303 Open April 20th & 21st
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 pm 
Rec
Rec

With a shovel....
Move the snow and the sun will dry it quicker. It's pretty much rocket science.
Phenix wrote:
I love the ambition Joe, but how does one to about shoveling grass? Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:28 am 
Int
Int

Aces: 0
Science was never my strong suit.
Measures are being taken and support it being offered and I would like to THANK everyone who is helping. I really hope that today's snow will have moved on and the courses can start to thaw and dry.

Remember your MHDGC discount
Support those who support your game!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:36 pm 
Int
Int

Hey everyone:

At this time, much to my regret, I am announcing that the 303 Open is going to be postponed. This decision has been weighing on me for the last couple of days. The last thing I wanted was to have to make any action, but after not being proactive enough for the Am weekend, I felt this decision had to be made, and made sooner then later.

The main component of this choice is based around the 303 layout at Camenisch, and the ability to have the course in playable conditions. My concern is about the teepads and overall safety of the players. There are 11 teepads on that layout that do not have concrete, and even if the snow were to melt off, it would still be very slick and soupy for more then a couple of days. I had first hand experience when a truck got stuck, last month, while retrieving the baskets after the AM weekend.

A variety of options were explored to keep this event intact as a sanctioned event this weekend, and none of there were truly viable. After discussions with Hyland Hills, CHU, the PDGA and our Colorado State PDGA Representative (John Bird), the next best and available weekend to move this sanctioned event was May 11th and 12th. If any player now has a conflict with the new date, please let me know and a refund will be issued.

On an up note, this Sunday, April 21st, we will be holding a one round, non-sanctioned event at CHU. I am working on all of the final arrangements for it, but here are the two things I know:

1. We will be playing the same layout as will be playing for the 303.
2. Someone will be walking away with cash and the tickets to the Denver Broncos Cheerleader Tryouts alter that afternoon.

I will send out another email with more finalized details on Sunday's event soon.

Once again, I am sorry to have had to make this decision, but I felt it was truly in the best interest of all people and players involved. Thanks again for your support in our premier event, and I hope to see you all in May.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm 
Int
Int

Aces: 11
pdga#: 31830
Wow, what a bummer.

I understand the time/effort you guys put into this event and was excited to play it again, but won't be able to play the May re-schedule.
If wetness is the concern what would happen if it rains for 2 straight days in May before the tourney?
Just seems odd to cancel on account of wetness?

If were talking player safety then HPC should never be run when it normally is, as tornados scare me a crap ton more than falling down in the mud/grass.

Does everyone who was signed up to play want to gather and play Badlands on Sat. anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm 
Int
Int

Aces: 5
pdga#: 50201
Aww.. I was looking forward to watching Paul McBeth and Brittany Blair
& other possible touring pro's this weekend, hopefully they'll show up Sunday :( .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 pm 

Aces: 26
pdga#: 38916
Wow. That really sucks. Our disc golf group down here in Chaffee County has been rallying around the May 11-12 date for more than a month now for our sanctioned event. While i do realize that this surely was not intentional, our people certainly wish this change had been made sooner and/or perhaps with some kind of warning to us, the only other PDGA event scheduled in Colorado that weekend? Having gone through the process of approving these dates well in advance with Mr. Bird as well as Andrew Sweeton of the PDGA, i have to say this is quite a disappointment. I am sending refunds to those already signed up who will now not be attending.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:44 pm 
Rec
Rec

That's messed up. Why was it moved to that weekend instead of next weekend when there are not other CO tourneys?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm 
Int
Int

Aces: 4
pdga#: 36820
Th Grudge match is the following weekend Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 pm 
Int
Int

Aces: 4
pdga#: 36820
And I assume the fact that there is probably about 20 or so people playing the grudge match that are playing 303.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 pm 

Aces: 2
pdga#: 51448
I say they play like the AMs had to

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm 
Rec
Rec

Chainman wrote:
And I assume the fact that there is probably about 20 or so people playing the grudge match that are playing 303.

Forgot about that. Bummer, those guys were putting a lot work into that poncha tourney. Maybe next year....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm 
Int
Int

Next weekend was one of the many options discussed. Not only is the grudge match happening in Denver, but chu is also playing host to another disc related event next Sunday.http://www.mhdgc.org/blogs/view/the-invisible-string
Conflicts were certainly looked at, and I was quite aware that any decision that was made would be meet with a certain level of disapproval. I am continuing to search for a "perfect solution for all" and will have more information for all tomorrow. I will apologize for the situation but not the decision. Player safety will continue to be a concern that I will openly defend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 pm 
Int
Int

Still can't get my brain around why it's cancelled b/c of player safety. Last time I checked no one was forced to sign up, nor are they forced into waking up and playing on Sat or Sun morning. I'm sure if were worried about getting vehicles stuck there are plenty of people who would walk out a basket for the temp holes.
Just seems weird considering we have all played in much worse conditions willingly.

I feel like Kyle got persuaded by Paulie and whoever else was "worried" about the teepads.
I understand things would be slick but everyone faces the same challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:53 pm 
Int
Int

Aces: 9
pdga#: 24929
I know it's not the traditional 303 layout, but why not (due to these unique circumstances) just play the regular Badlands tees that will be dry? Though not ideal, it seems like that would be easier than re-scheduling. Or, switch it up and play CHU twice on Sat. and the regular Badlands 27 on Sun.?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm 
Int
Int

BIG MACK FOR MAYOR

Although the lure of the event for myself personally is the other layout at Badlands we don't normally have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:10 pm 
Int
Int

pdga#: 50201
Best idea yet goes to Big Mack!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 am 
Int
Int

pdga#: 27905
I know we're all bummed about the rescheduling, but lets give Kyle the benefit of the doubt here. He's working his butt off to pull this off and rescheduling it is probably a much bigger pain for him then it is for us. But he's trying to look out for everyone else. I'm sure that it wasn't an easy decision or one that he made lightly.

No matter when it's held, I think the 303 is a premier event and I can't wait to play it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 am 
Rec
Rec

Aces: 83
pdga#: 34319
Perfectly put BVD. After the am weekend, the Spring Fling and then the horrible wind etc. at GBO this past week end I am happy for the reschedule. Sucks it is going to run into other events no matter what he does. There is always someone who is going to B**** and moan about these things. I belive it was the right call Kyle. Thank you for giving us the heads up early.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:17 am 

Aces: 8
pdga#: 26040
Good call Big Mack! I have endured rain and mud and snow playing casual rounds all the while thinking to my self, if you practice in these conditions you'll be prepared for a tournament in these conditions. I have been knee deep in mud at Badlands....... in July, so I can't subscribe to the "muddy" reasoning and Alex made a good point about the "safety" issue. I believe players would have rallied on Friday to put mulch down on the Tee's and around baskets etc. Calling a tournament in Colorado 3-4 days out due to weather is crazy. I don't put much faith in Chim Chim the dart throwing weather monkey. I'm venting because of the honey do list I had to complete to play this weekend, now back to the drawing board. Are there any players who think the rescheduling of the 303 was a good call? Just curious. Chim Chim is calling for sunshine Sat. and Sun.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 121 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next